Global and Cultural Mental Health
The Global and Cultural Mental Health Unit works to improve mental health and reduce mental illness in low-resource settings and among vulnerable populations in Australia and internationally. We strengthen leadership and build capacity in government and non-government sectors to develop mental health and social support services that are high quality, equitable and affordable, and that protect the human rights of people with mental illness.
Mental Health Epidemiology
The Mental Health Epidemiology Unit leads the design and analysis of studies of mental health outcomes, including studies of suicide and self-harm.
Mental Health Policy and Practice
The Mental Health Policy and Practice Unit aims to influence policy and practice in Australia and overseas. Our Unit is well known for its evaluations of large-scale mental health programs, and its studies of more specific interventions.
- 'Man Up'
- Development of a best practice guide to perpetrator program evaluation
- Development of an intervention for bereaved adolescents
- Hot Spot Quantitative Research
- National suicide prevention research and campaign project
- National Suicide Prevention Trial (NSPT) evaluation
- PHN Lead Site Project
- Suicide prevention public services announcements (PSAs) targeting adolescents: A randomised controlled trial
- The LIFEWAYS Project
- The relationship between social media and suicide clusters
- Wesley LifeForce Networks Evaluation
Population Mental Health
The aims of the Population Mental Health Group are to: conduct research on what actions members of the community can take to prevent and intervene early with mental disorders; translate the findings from this research into practical interventions that empower the whole community to take action, and train researchers in this area.
- 'What Works for Depression' and 'What Works for Anxiety'
- A culturally appropriate approach to improve mental health outcomes in Sri Lanka and China: Mental Health First Aid
- Centre of Research Excellence in Childhood Adversity and Associated Depression and Anxiety
- First Aid Training for Parents of Teenagers: A Randomized Controlled Trial (TPOT Study)
- Measuring mental health first aid skills
- Mindwise: A multifaceted intervention to improve mental health literacy in staff and students of a multi-campus university
- National survey of discrimination and positive treatment associated with mental health problems
- National surveys of mental health literacy and stigma
- teen Mental Health First Aid
- teenAID: A Cluster Randomised Control Trial to evaluate first aid training for teenagers
- The Mental Health First Aid Conversations About Suicide Trial
- What workplaces can do to improve mental health
- WorkplaceAid: a trial on improving mental health and physical first aid skills in the workplace