STARS: Standing Together Against Racism in Sport
Working to co-design, test and evaluate an anti-racism strategy.
Racism in sport at both elite and grassroots levels is all too common and limits participation by people from minority ethnic groups. Anti-racism strategies have been implemented in professional sport, however there is a lack of evidence for effective anti-racism interventions in junior sport.
The STARS project is being conducted by researchers at the University of Melbourne in partnership with Welcoming Clubs, Merri-bek Council, Merri Health, CMSport and partner sports clubs to co-design, test and evaluate an anti-racism strategy. The intervention provides Active Inclusion training by Welcoming Clubs which includes Upstander training to provide clubs with practical tools for all club members to address racism and discrimination when they see it.
Connect with us
Find us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/starsunimelb
- Dr Karen Block, Child and Community Wellbeing Unit
- Ms Dana Young, Child and Community Wellbeing Unit
- Dr Lauren Carpenter, Child and Community Wellbeing Unit
- Ilundi Tinga, Child and Community Wellbeing Unit
- Azraf Ezaz, Child and Community Wellbeing Unit
- Maxine Wells (honours student), Child and Community Wellbeing Unit