Diabetes affects older people
The number of people diagnosed with diabetes is increasing every year
Diabetes Victoria is the leading charity and peak consumer body whose mission is to support, empower and campaign for all Victorians affected by diabetes. Diabetes can be diagnosed at any age, which means that across all age groups and life stages there are particular care needs. As people get older, health care needs can become more complex, even more so in the context of residential aged care. During 2015, over 9000 people aged 60–90+ were diagnosed with type 1 and type 2 diabetes in Victoria alone.
Diabetes Victoria is here to help you:
- We offer tailored education programs for health professionals and all care staff working in a variety of health care environments, providing them with information, resources and professional development to help them support their patients
- You can find our program options here: diabetesvic.org.au/workshops or email us at: email@example.com
- We also provide a checklist tool to determine if your residential care service is meeting the care needs of your residents with diabetes. This will allow us to proactively identify any gaps in diabetes care and highlight any areas of excellence. We can then work with you to address any gaps in your diabetes care
- If you are interested in using this checklist tool, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Helpline 1300 136 588 is the number to call to navigate you through the diabetes world.
- We offer membership of Diabetes Victoria for all people living with diabetes, their families, carers and diabetes health care professionals
- We run over 90 diabetes support groups across the state, helping you to connect with others affected by the condition
- We offer supermarket tours to help you choose healthy options when shopping
- We fund vital diabetes research
Diabetes Victoria seeks to improve diabetes self-management, awareness and prevention. Our purpose is to help all people affected by diabetes and to contribute to the search for a cure.