Please note: some of the following links direct you to the accepted version of the research article which may vary slightly from the final published version. We have made these versions free and easily available to you (otherwise you would need a journal subscription to access the final version).
- Block K, Molyneaux R, Gibbs L, Alkemade N, Baker E, MacDougall C, Ireton G, Forbes D. The role of the natural environment in disaster recovery: “We live here because we love the bush”. Health & Place. 2019; 57:61-69.
- Gallagher HC, Block K, Gibbs L, Forbes D, Lusher D, Molyneaux R, Richardson J, Pattison P, MacDougall C and Bryant RA. The effect of group involvement on post-disaster mental health: A longitudinal multilevel analysis. Social Science & Medicine. 2019; 220:167-175.
- Gibbs L, Nursey J, Cook J , Ireton G, Alkemade N, Roberts M, Gallagher HC, Bryant R, Block K, Molyneaux R and Forbes D. Delayed Disaster Impacts on Academic Performance of Primary School Children. Child Development. 2019.
- Gibbs L, Ireton G, Block K, Taunt E, Pirrone A, Morrice H. Children as bushfire educators - Just be calm, and stuff like that. Journal of International Social Studies. 2018.
- Gibbs L, Molyneaux R, Whiteley S, Block K, Harms L, Bryant R.A., Forbes D, Gallagher H. C., MacDougall C, Ireton G. Distress and satisfaction with research participation: impact on retention in longitudinal disaster research. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction (2018) 27: 68-74
- Gibbs L, Block K, MacDougall C, Harms L, Baker E, Richardson J, Ireton G, Gallagher HC, Bryant R, Lusher D and Pattison. Ethical use and impact of participatory approaches to research in post-disaster environments: an Australian bushfire case study. BioMed research international. 2018.
- Bryant RA, Gibbs L, Gallagher H C, Pattison P, Lusher D, MacDougall C, Harms L, Block K, Snowdon E, Sinnott V, Ireton G, Richardson J, Forbes D. Longitudinal Study of Changing Psychological Outcomes Following the Victorian Black Saturday Bushfires. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2017; DOI: 10.1177/0004867417714337
- Block K, Gibbs L, and MacDougall C. Participant-guided mobile methods. In P. Liamputtong (Ed.), Research Methods in Health Social Sciences: Springer. 2017. DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-2779-6_25-1
- Gibbs L, MacDougall C, Mutch C, O’Connor P. Child citizenship in disaster risk and affected environments. In Disaster Resilience: An integrated approach (2nd Ed). Eds Douglas Paton & David Johnston. Springfield, Illinois, USA: Charles C. Thomas Publisher . 2017: 138-157
- Van Kessel G, MacDougall C, Gibbs L. Public testimony as a source of naturally occurring data: An ethical and rigorous approach to investigating resilience in the face of a natural disaster. SAGE Research Method. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781473959439
- Bryant RA, Gallagher HG, Waters E, Gibbs L, Pattison P, MacDougall C, Harms L, Block K, Baker E, Sinnott BA, Ireton G, Richardson J, Forbes D, and Lusher D. Mental Health and Social Networks Following Disaster. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2017: 174 (3): 277-285
- Gallagher HC, Lusher D, Gibbs L, Pattison P, Forbes D, Block K, Harms L, MacDougall C, Kellett C, Ireton G, Bryant R. Dyadic effects of attachment on mental health: Couples in a post-disaster context. Journal of Family Psychology. 2017; 31(2): 192-202
- Gallagher HC, Richardson J, Forbes D, Harms L, Gibbs L, Alkemade N, MacDougall C, Waters E, Block K, Lusher D, Snowdon E, Bryant R. Mental health following separation in a disaster: The role of attachment style.Psychological Medicine 2016. 29: 1-9.
- Gibbs L, Gallagher HC, Block K, Snowdon E, Bryant R, Harms L, Ireton G, Kellett C, Sinnott V, Richardson J, Lusher D, Forbes D, MacDougall C, Waters E. Post-bushfire relocation decision-making and personal wellbeing: A case study from Victoria, Australia. In Adenrele Awotona (Ed). Planning for Community-based Disaster Resilience Worldwide: Learning from Case Studies in Six Continents. Ashgate Publishing Limited. 2016.
- Richardson JF, Snowdon E, Gallagher HC, Gibbs L, Block K, Lusher D, Kellett C, MacDougall C, Smith M. Separation and reunification in disasters: the importance of understanding the psycho-social consequences. In Adenrele Awotona (Ed). Planning for Community-based Disaster Resilience Worldwide: Learning from Case Studies in Six Continents. Ashgate Publishing Limited. 2016: 357-372.
- Forbes D, Alkemade N, Waters E, Gibbs L, Gallagher H C, Pattison P, Lusher D, MacDougall C, Harms L, Block K, Snowdon E, Kellett C, Sinnott V, Ireton G, Richardson J, & Bryant R. Anger and major life stressors as predictors of psychological outcomes following the Victorian Black Saturday bushfires. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2015; 49(8); 706-713.
- Gibbs L, Block K, Harms L, MacDougall C, Snowdon E, Ireton G, Forbes D, Richardson J, Waters E. Children and young people’s wellbeing post-disaster: Safety and stability are critical. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2015; 14(2): 195-201.
- Gibbs L, Harms L, Howell-Meurs S, Block K, Lusher D, Richardson J, MacDougall C, Waters E. Measuring community wellbeing: applications for a disaster context. Australian Journal of Emergency Management. 2015. 30 (3); 20-24.
- Gibbs L, Sia K-L, Block K, Baker E, Nelsson C, Gilbert J, Cook A, MacDougall C. Cost and outcomes associated with participating in the Community Fireguard Program: experiences from Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2015;13; 375-380.
- Harms L, Gibbs L, Bryant R, Lusher D, Richardson J, MacDougall C, Block K, Snowdon E, Gallagher C, Sinnott V, Ireton G, Forbes D, & Waters E. Conceptualising post-disaster recovery: Incorporating experiences of grief and loss. British Journal of Social Work. 2015; 45(supl1): i170-i187.
- van Kessel G, Gibbs L & MacDougall C. Strategies to enhance resilience post natural disaster: A qualitative study of experiences with Australian floods and fires. Journal of Public Health. 2015, 37 (2), 328-336.
- van Kessel G, MacDougall C, & Gibbs L. The Process of Rebuilding Human Resilience in the Face of the Experience of a Natural Disaster: A Multisystem Model. IJEMHHR. 2015, 17(4), 678-687.
- Block K, Gibbs L, Snowdon E, and MacDougall C. Participant guided mobile methods: Investigating personal experiences of communities. SAGE Research Methods Cases. London: Sage Publications, Ltd. 2014.
- Bryant R, Waters E, Gibbs L, Gallagher C, Pattison P, Lusher D, MacDougall C, Harms L, Block K, Snowdon E, Sinnott V, Ireton G, Richardson J, Forbes D. Psychological Outcomes Following the Victorian Black Saturday Bushfires. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2014. 48 (7) 634-643.
- Gibbs L, Di Pietro M, Harris A, Ireton G, Mordech S, Roberts M, Sinclair J, Wraith R. Core principles for a community based approach to supporting child disaster recovery. Australian Journal of Emergency Management. 2014; 29(1): 17-24.
- Gibbs L, MacDougall C, Block K. Political reflexivity in post-bushfire research. Qualitative Research Journal. 2014; 14(3).
- Gibbs L, Snowdon E, Block K, Gallagher HC, MacDougall C, Ireton G, Pirrone-Savona A, Forbes D, Richardson J, Harms L, Waters E.Where do we start? A proposed post disaster intervention framework for children and young people. Pastoral Care in Education. 2014; 32 (1): 68-87.
- Gibbs L, Waters E, Bryant R, Pattison P, Lusher D, Harms L, Richardson J, MacDougall C, Block K, Snowdon E, Gallagher H C, Sinnott V, Ireton G, Forbes D. Beyond Bushfires: Community, Resilience and Recovery – A longitudinal mixed method study of the medium to long term impacts of bushfires on mental health and social connectedness. BMC Public Health. 2014; 14:7; 634-643
- Van Kessel G, MacDougall C, Gibbs L. Resilience - rhetoric to reality: a systematic review of intervention studies following natural disasters. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2014.
- Gibbs L, MacDougall C, Harden J. Development of an ethical methodology for post-bushfire research with children. Health Sociology Review. 2013. 22(2): 114–123.
Over the period of our study, we have completed many presentations - these include:
- 2015: 5 academic conferences, 1 community visits/presentations.
- 2014: 9 academic conferences, 4 community visits/presentations & Full Day Beyond Bushfires Symposium.
- 2013: 10 academic conferences, 5 community visits/presentations.
- 2012: 11 academic conferences, 24 community visits/presentations.
- 2011: 6 academic conferences, 22 community visits/presentations.
- 2010: 1 academic conferences, 4 community visits/presentations.