Webinar series | COVID-19 and detention
The Justice Health Unit has convened a series of six webinars on the theme of Building a sustainable, comprehensive response to COVID-19 in relation to detention.
The webinars, held from July 2020 to September 2021, had a global perspective with speakers from international organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The overall focus of the series was on:
- Understanding the policy/operational responses so far
- Identifying what has been missing from the response (voices, regions, perspectives, issues, information)
- Developing recommendations on what is needed to achieve comprehensive, sustainable, whole-of-government responses
Prof Stuart Kinner and other members of the Justice Health Unit, University of Melbourne co-facilitated the webinar series.
We aim to continue our work on the issues discussed throughout the series, in collaboration with our international and Australasian collaborators, through various channels and forums.
The webinar topics are:
1. Global overview
Recording now available (Recorded 8 July 2020)
2. COVID-19 and decarceration
Recording now available (Recorded 20 August 2020)
3. Rights and accountability
Recording now available (Recorded 16 September 2020)
4. Immigration detention and COVID-19
Recording now available (Recorded 12 November 2020)
5. Australasian issues
Recording now available (Recorded Thursday 4 February 2021)
6. Towards a data-driven global response
Recording now available (Recorded Thursday 9 September 2021)