Webinar series | COVID-19 and detention
The Justice Health Unit is convening a series of six webinars on the theme of Building a sustainable, comprehensive response to COVID-19 in relation to detention.
The webinars, to be held monthly from July to December 2020, will have a global perspective with speakers from international organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The overall focus of the series will be on:
- Understanding the policy/operational responses so far
- Identifying what has been missing from the response (voices, regions, perspectives, issues, information)
- Developing recommendations on what is needed to achieve comprehensive, sustainable, whole-of-government responses
The webinar topics are:
1. Global overview
Recording now available (Recorded 8 July 2020)
2. COVID-19 and decarceration
Recording now available (Recorded 20 August 2020)
3. Rights and accountability
Recording now available (Recorded 16 September 2020)
4. Immigration detention and COVID-19
Recording available in October
5. Australasian issues
Recording available in November
6. International responses – next steps for policy, advocacy, funding and research
Recording available in December
Prof Stuart Kinner and other members of the Justice Health Unit, University of Melbourne are co-facilitating the webinar series.
A link to the YouTube playlist COVID-19 and detention (Justice Health Unit Webinar series) is available here.
Details of upcoming webinars will be advertised progressively. To receive notification of the date, time and registration link for upcoming webinars, email JHU-Webinar@unimelb.edu.au
For more information, contact Clare Chiminello.