Webinar series | COVID-19 and detention
The Justice Health Unit is convening a series of six webinars on the theme of Building a sustainable, comprehensive response to COVID-19 in relation to detention.
The webinars, to be held from July 2020 to April 2021, will have a global perspective with speakers from international organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The overall focus of the series will be on:
- Understanding the policy/operational responses so far
- Identifying what has been missing from the response (voices, regions, perspectives, issues, information)
- Developing recommendations on what is needed to achieve comprehensive, sustainable, whole-of-government responses
The webinar topics are:
1. Global overview
Recording now available (Recorded 8 July 2020)
2. COVID-19 and decarceration
Recording now available (Recorded 20 August 2020)
3. Rights and accountability
Recording now available (Recorded 16 September 2020)
4. Immigration detention and COVID-19
Recording now available (Recorded 12 November 2020)
5. Australasian issues
Recording now available (Recorded Thursday 4 February 2021)
6. International responses – next steps for policy, advocacy, funding and research
Webinar to be held in April 2021. Event and recording availability date TBA.
Prof Stuart Kinner and other members of the Justice Health Unit, University of Melbourne are co-facilitating the webinar series.
Details of the final webinar in this series will be advertised in due course. To receive notification of the date, time and registration link, email JHU-Webinar@unimelb.edu.au
For more information, contact Clare Chiminello.