Design and Data Visualisation for Knowledge Translation. 1 Day Short Course
Tuesday 29th October 2019. 9am-4pm
Tuesday 24th March 2020. 9am-4pm
What is the course about?
This course is designed to teach individuals ways to translate and present their work into creative and compelling visualisations. The course will explore:
- the importance of data visualisation in knowledge translation
- how to design an engaging and effective PowerPoint presentation, including layout, colours, imagery, and interactivity
- what constitutes a well-designed infographic and data visualisation and the 5-step process behind conceptualising and designing one
- the importance of a research summary infographic and how to design one
- over 60 different chart types with online examples, and when to use them
- how to use visual attributes to make your designs more elegant, easy to understand and interpret
- practical activities and a wide range of online references for further information.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for a wide range of professionals who are interested in learning new ways to translate their work into effective data visualisations and infographics, to increase knowledge translation with their desired audience. The introductory course is aimed at people who are new to design work or have an interest in how to think more visually and create a bigger impact when disseminating their work.
The course was developed and is delivered by Alana Pirrone, Design and Communications Coordinator for The Jack Brockhoff Child Health & Wellbeing Program, The University of Melbourne. She specialises in data visualisation for knowledge translation. Alana has done work for the World Health Organisation, National Heart Foundation, First Person Consulting and various departments and programs within Melbourne University. Some examples of her work can be found online at www.alanapirrone.com.au Alana draws on training she has received from industry leaders, Edwards Tufte, David McCandless, Andy Kirk and Stephanie Evergreen.
- Alana Pirrone, Jack Brockhoff Child Health & Wellbeing Program
- Contact Name
- Alana Pirrone