Inaugural Indigenous Data Governance Working Group
On the 27th of November 2019, the Kaiela Institute and the Indigenous Data Network co-hosted the inaugural Indigenous Data Governance Working Group at the Rumbalara Football Netball Club, Shepparton.
The Indigenous Data Network (IDN) and the Kaiela Institute (Kaiela) would like to extend our thanks to participants in the inaugural meeting of the Indigenous Data Governance Working Group in Shepparton, Victoria, 27 November 2019.
Download a copy of the official media release here: Inaugural Meeting of the Indigenous Data Working Group
The inaugural IDG Working Group Meeting was a joint initiative of the IDN and the Kaiela Institute. It could not have been realised without the committed efforts of both organisations.
In particular, the IDN and the Kaiela Institute would like to thank IDN Founder Professor Marcia Langton and Kaiela Executive Director Paul Briggs OAM, for their visionary collaboration in bringing the two organisations together in this effort.
The inaugural meeting of the IDG Working Group represents an unprecedented step forward in the establishment of a coordinated national framework for the governance of data generated by and about Indigenous Australians during the past >50,000 years and into the future.
The meeting brought together representatives of key Indigenous community-controlled research organisations (ICROs) and Commonwealth and Victorian state government departments and agencies, committed to cooperating in establishing a national Indigenous data governance framework, coordinated by the Indigenous Data Network at the University of Melbourne.
Participating agencies, departments and organisations included:
- The National Indigenous Australians Agency
- The Australian Productivity Commission
- The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- The Australian Institute of Family Studies
- The Australian Bureau of Statistics
- The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
- The Centre for Victorian Data Linkage
- Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria
- Generation Victoria (GenV) – Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- Empowered Communities
- Coalition of Peaks, National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO)
- The Kimberley Land Council
- Barang Regional Alliance
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Community Health Service Brisbane
- National Indigenous Research and Knowledges Network
- Queensland University of Technology
- Melbourne Data Analytics Platform
- The University of Melbourne