Melbourne School of Population and Global Health
Our Centres & Institutes
Centre for Health Equity
Disability and Health Unit
- King T, Gullestrup J, Batterham P , Kelly B, Lockwood C , Lingard H, Samuel B. Harvey SB , LaMontagne AD & Milner A. Shifting beliefs about Suicide: pre-Post Evaluation of the effectiveness of a program for workers in the construction industry. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(10), 2106. 10.3390/ijerph15102106
- King T, Aitken Z, Milner A, Emerson E, Priest N, Karahalios A, Kavanagh A & Blakely T. To what extent is the association between disability and mental health in adolescents mediated by bullying? A causal mediation analysis. International Journal of Epidemiology, 2018; 3 August, 10.1093/ije/dyy154
- Milner A, Scovelle AJ & King T. Treatment-seeking differences for mental health problems in male- and non-male-dominated occupations: evidence from the HILDA cohort. Epidemiology and Psychiatric sciences 1-8 23 Jul 2018, 10.1017/S2045796018000367l
- Milner A & Maheen H. Suicide prevention in Australia: Does the funding match the burden? Aust NZ Journal of Psychiatry 52(6):596-598 01 Jun 2018, 10.1177/0004867418773873
- Gayed A, LaMontagne AD, Milner A, Deady M, Calvo RA, Christensen H, Mykletun A, Glozier N, Harvey SB. A New Online Mental Health Training Program for Workplace Managers: Pre-Post Pilot Study Assessing Feasibility, Usability, and Possible Effectiveness. JMIR Ment Health 2018;5(3):e10517, 10.2196/10517
- O'Neill A, Sojo V, Fileborn B, Scovelle A & Milner A. The #MeToo movement: an opportunity in Public Health. The Lancet, 20 June 2018 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30991-7
- Too LS, Law PCF, Spittal MJ, Page A, Milner A. Widening socioeconomic inequalities in Australian suicide, despite recent declines in suicide rates. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2018; 30 Apri, 10.1007/s00127-018-1527-9
- Too LS, Pirkis J, Milner A, Robinson J, Spittal M. Clusters of Suicidal Events Among Young People: Do Clusters from One Time Period Predict Later Clusters? Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Epub, 26 March 2018, 10.1111/sltb.12460
- Bentley R, Blakely T, Kavanagh A, Aitken Z, King T, McElwee P, Giles-Corti B & Turrell G. Can changes in the built environments increase walking for transport? Environmental Health Perspectives 2018; 126 (5). 1-8, 10.1289/EHP2080
- Witt K, Milner A, Chastang JF. et al. Impact of lifetime compared to adolescent-onset mental illness on psychosocial employment quality in adulthood: analysis of a nationally representative French cohort. Int Arch Occup Environ Health (2018) 10.1007/s00420-018-1331-6
- Aitken Z, Simpson J, Gurrin L, Bentley R & Kavanagh A. Do material, psychosocial and behavioural factors mediate the relationship between disability acquisition and mental health? A sequential causal mediation analysis. Int J Epidemiology 7(3):829-840 01 Jun 10.1093/ije/dyx277
- Klingelschmidt J, Milner A, Khireddine-Medouni I, Witt K, Alexopoulos E, Toivanen S, LaMontagne AD, Chastang JF, Niedhammer I. Suicide among agricultural, forestry and fishery workers: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Scand J Work Environ Health 2018;44(1):3-15. 10.5271/sjweh.3682
- Loh VHY, Rachele JN, Brown WJ, Ghani F & Turrell G. Neighborhood Disadvantage and Physical Function: The Contributions of Neighborhood-Level Perceptions of Safety From Crime and Walking for Recreation. J Phys Act Health. 2018 Apr 20:1-11 10.1123/jpah.2017-0423
- Milner A, Kavanagh A, King T & Currier D. The influence of masculine norms and occupational factors on mental health: Evidence from the baseline of the Australian Longitudinal Study on Male Health. American Journal of Men’s Health 2018, 12 (1), 16 January. 10.1177/1557988317752607
- Milner A, King T, LaMontagne AD, Bentley R, & Kavanagh A. Men's work, Women's work, and mental health: A longitudinal investigation of the relationship between the gender composition of occupations and mental health. Social Science and Medicine, 2018, 204, 16-22. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.03.020
- Milner A, Witt K, LaMontagne AD, Niedhammer I. Authors' reply: 'Response to: 'Psychosocial job stressors and suicidality: a meta-analysis and systematic review' by Milner et al'. Occup Environ Med. 2018 Jan 27. pii: oemed-2018-104997. 10.1136/oemed-2018-104997
- Milner A, Law P, Witt K, LaMontagne AD, Mann C. A smart-phone intervention to address mental health stigma in the construction industry: a two-arm randomised controlled trial. Social Science and Medicine – Population Health 2018, 4, 164-168.10.1016/j.ssmph.2017.12.007
- Niedhammer I, Milner A, Witt K, Klingelschmidt J, Khireddine-Medouni I, Alexopoulos EC, Toivanen S, Chastang JF, LaMontagne AD (2018). Response to letter to the editor from Dr Rahman Shiri: The challenging topic of suicide across occupational groups. Scand J Work Environ Health 2018, 44(1):108–110. 10.5271/sjweh.3698
- O’Neil A, Scovelle AJ, Milner A & Kavanagh A. Gender/Sex as a social determinant of cardiovascular risk. Circulation, 20 February 2018, 137(8): 854-864. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.028595
- Rachele JN, Kavanagh A., Brown WJ, Healy AM & Turrell G. Neighbourhood disadvantage and body mass index: a study of residential relocation. Am J Epidemiol January 2018, 10.1093/aje/kwx390
- Rachele JN, Learnihan V, Badland HM, Mavoa S, Turrell G & Giles-Corti B. Are Measures Derived From Land Use and Transport Policies Associated With Walking for Transport? J Phys Act Health. 2018 Jan 1;15(1):13-21 10.1123/jpah.2016-0693
- Turrell G, Hewitt BA, Rachele JN, Giles-Corti B, Busija L & Brown WJ. Do active modes of transport cause lower body mass index? Findings from the HABITAT longitudinal study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2018 Apr;72(4):294-301. 10.1136/jech-2017-209957. Epub 2018 Jan 24.
- Reavley NJ, Milner A, Martin A, Too, LS, Papas A, Witt K, Keegel T & LaMontagne AD (2018). Depression literacy and help-seeking in Australian police. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2018: 5 February. 10.1177/0004867417753550
- Kavanagh AM, Priest N, Emerson E, Milner A & King T. Gender, parental education and experiences of bullying victimization by Australian adolescents with and without a disability. Child Care Health Dev. 2018; 44(2) 332-341. 10.1111/cch.12545
- Aitken Z, Krnjacki L, Kavanagh AM, LaMontagne AM & Milner A. Does social support modify the effect of disability acquisition on mental health? A longitudinal study of Australian adults. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2017; 52 (10): 1247 10.1007/s00127-017-1418-5
- Aitken Z, Simpson J, Bentley R &, Kavanagh AM. Disability acquisition and mental health: an analysis of excess mental health inequalities according to demographic and socioeconomic characteristics using propensity score models with inverse probability of treatment weighting. BMJ Open 2017;7: e016953. 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016953
- Blakely T, Disney G, Atkinson J, Teng A, Mackenbach JP. A Typology for Charting Socioeconomic Mortality Gradients: "Go Southwest". Epidemiology, 2017 Jul;28(4):594-603. 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000671
- Carter G, Milner A, McGill K, Pirkis J, Kapur N, Spittal MJ. Predicting suicidal behaviours using clinical instruments: systematic review and meta-analysis of positive predictive values for risk scales. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2017 10.1192/bjp.bp.116.182717
- Carey G, Malbon E, Reeders D, Kavanagh A & Llewellyn G. Redressing or entrenching social and health inequities through policy implementation? Examining personalised budgets through the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme. Int J Equity Health 2017 16:192 10.1186/s12939-017-0682-z
- Devine A, Ignacio R, Prenter K, Temminghoff L, Gill-Atkinson L, Zayas J, Marco MJ & Vaughan C. 'Freedom to go where I want': improving access to sexual and reproductive health for women with disability in the Philippines. Reprod Health Matters 2017 May; 25(50):55-65 10.1080/09688080.2017.1319732
- Disney G, Teng A, Atkinson J, Wilson N, Blakely T. Changing ethnic inequalities in mortality in New Zealand over 30 years: linked cohort studies with 68.9 million person-years of follow-up. Popul Health Metr. 2017 Apr 26;15:15 10.1186/s12963-017-0132-6
- Ford R, King T, Priest N & Kavanagh AM. Bullying and mental health and suicidal behaviour among 14-15 year olds in a representative sample of Australian children. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 2017 Sep, 51(9): 897-908. 10.1177/0004867417700275
- Gunn L, Mavoa S, Boulangé C, Hooper P, Kavanagh AM & Giles-Corti B. Designing Healthy Communities: Creating evidence on metrics for built environment features associated with walkable neighbourhood activity centres. Int J Physical Act & Behav Nutrit 2017 14:164 10.1186/s12966-017-0621-9
- Gunn LD, King TL, Mavoa S, Lamb KE, Giles-Corti B & Kavanagh AM. Identifying destination distances that support walking trips in local neighbourhoods, Journal of Transport and Health 2017; 5, 133-141. 10.1016/j.jth.2016.08.009
- Hudry K, Dimov S. Spoken language shows some improvement following intervention for children with autism: but for which children and why? Evid Based Ment Health. 2017 Aug;20(3):e16 10.1136/eb-2016-102435. Epub 2017 Jun 29.
- Krnjacki L, Priest N, King T, Aitken Z, Emerson E, Llewellyn G & Kavanagh AM. Disability-based discrimination and health: Findings from an Australian-based population study. Aust NZ J Pub Health 22 November 2017. 10.1111/1753-6405.12735
- Marck CH, De Livera AM, Weiland TJ, Jelinek PL, Neate SL, Brown CR, Taylor KL, Khan F, Jelinek GA. Pain in People with Multiple Sclerosis: Associations with Modifiable Lifestyle Factors, Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety, and Mental Health Quality of Life. Front Neurol. 2017 Sep 5;8:461 10.3389/fneur.2017.00461
- Milner A, Aitken Z, Kavanagh AM, LaMontagne A & Petrie D. Status inconsistency and mental health: A random effects instrumental variables analysis using 13 annual waves of cohort data. Soc Sci Medicine 2017 189:129-137. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.08.001
- Milner A, Aitken Z, Kavanagh AM, LaMontagne A, Pega F, Petrie D. Combining fixed effects and instrumental variable approaches for estimating the effect of psychosocial job quality on mental health: Evidence from 13 waves of a nationally representative cohort study. J Public Health (Oxf.) 2017 Jun 23:1-9. 10.1093/pubmed/fdx070
- Milner A, Badland H, Kavanagh AM & LaMontagne A. Time spent commuting to work and mental health: Evidence from 13 waves of an Australian Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol 2017 Sep 15; 186(6): 659-667. 10.1093/aje/kww243
- Milner A, King TL, LaMontagne AD, Aitken, Z, Petrie D & Kavanagh AM. Underemployment and its impacts on mental health among those with disabilities: evidence from the HILDA cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health 2017; 71:1198-1202. 10.1136/jech-2017-209800
- Milner A, Witt K, LaMontagne AD, Niedhammer I. Psychosocial job stressors and suicidality: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2017; 75 318-318, 10.1136/oemed-2017-104829
- Milner A, Witt K, Spittal MJ, Bismark M, Graham M, LaMontagne AD. The relationship between working conditions and self-rated health among medical doctors: Evidence from seven waves of the Medicine in Australia Balancing Employment and Life (MABEL) survey. BMC Health Service Research. 17:609,
- Milner A, Maheen H and LaMontagne AD. Male suicide among construction and manufacturing workers in Australia: A qualitative analysis of the major stressors precipitating death. BMC Public Health; 2017, 17(1), 125. 10.1186/s12889-017-4500-8
- Milner A, Witt K, Maheen H and LaMontagne AD. Access to means, occupation and the risk of suicide: A national study over 12 years of coronial data. BMC Psychiatry. 17: 125, 10.1186/s12888-017-1288-0
- Milner A, Too T and Spittal M. Cluster suicides among unemployed persons in Australia over the period 2001 to 2013. Social Indicators Research, 2017 10.1007/s11205-017-1604-6
- Milner A, Witt K, Pirkis J, Hetrick S, Robinson J, Currier D, Spittal MJ, Page A, Carter GL. The effectiveness of suicide prevention delivered by GPs: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Affective Disorder, 2017, 210, 294–302, 10.1016/j.jad.2016.12.035
- Milner A, Krnjacki L, Allisey A, LaMontagne AD. Entry into work and changes in mental health among young workers: a fixed effects regression analysis using 12 waves of annual data. Scand J of Work and Environment. 43, 50-58. doi: 10.5271/sjweh.3608
- Milner A, Witt K, Maheen H, LaMontagne AD. Suicide among emergency and protective service workers: A retrospective mortality study in Australia, 2001 to 2012. Work, 2017,57(2):281-287, 10.3233/WOR-172554
- Phyo AZZ, Demaneuf T, De Livera AM, Jelinek GA, Brown CR, Marck CH, Neate SL, Taylor KL, Mills T, O'Kearney E, Karahalios A, Weiland TJ. The Efficacy of Psychological Interventions for Managing Fatigue in People With Multiple Sclerosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Front Neurol. 2018 Apr 4;9:149. 10.3389/fneur.2018.00149. eCollection 2018.
- Pirkis J, Currier D, Butterworth P, Milner A, Kavanagh AM, Tibble H, Robinson J & Spittal MJ. Socio-economic position and suicidal ideation in men. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017 April 14 (4); 365. 10.3390/ijerph14040365
- Rachele JN, Kavanagh AM, Brown WJ, Healy AM, Schmid C & Turrell G. Neighbourhood socioeconomic disadvantage and body mass: Findings from the HABITAT multilevel longitudinal study. Preventative Medicine 2017, 105, 271-274. 10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.09.017
- Reilly GD, Mahkawnghta AS, Jelinek PL, De Livera AM, Weiland TJ, Brown CR, Taylor KL, Neate SL, Jelinek GA, Marck CH. nternational Differences in Multiple Sclerosis Health Outcomes and Associated Factors in a Cross-sectional Survey. Front Neurol. 2017 May 31;8:229 10.3389/fneur.2017.00229
- Sutherland G, Milner A, Dwyer J, Bugeja L, Robinson J, Woodward A, Pirkis A (2017). Implementation and evaluation of the Victorian Suicide Register. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2017; October 10.1111/1753-6405.12725
- Taouk Y, Milner A, LaMontagne AD. Body Mass Index and Psychosocial Job Quality: An analysis of working Australians from the HILDA Survey. Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health, 2017, October 10.1080/19338244.2017.1380594
- Teng A, Atkinson J, Disney G, Wilson N & Blakely T. Changing smoking-mortality association over time and across social groups: National census-mortality cohort studies from 1981 to 2011. Scientific Reports volume 7, Article number: 11465 (2017) 10.1038/s41598-017-11785-x
- Teng A, Atkinson J, Disney G, Wilson N & Blakely T. Changing socioeconomic inequalities in cancer incidence and mortality: Cohort study with 54 million person-years follow-up 1981-2011. International Journal of Cancer. 2017, Mar 15;140(6):1306-1316 10.1002/ijc.30555
- Too LS, Bugeja L, Milner A, McClure R, Spittal MJ. Predictors of using trains as a suicide method: findings from Victoria, Australia. Psychiatry Research, 2017 253: 233–239, 10.1016/j.psychres.2017.03.057
- Too LS, Pirkis J, Milner A, Bugeja L, Spittal MJ. Railway suicide clusters: how common are they and what predicts them? Injury Prevention. 10.1136/injuryprev-2016-042029
- Witt K, Spittal MJ, Carter G, Pirkis J, Hetrick S, Currier D, Robinson J, Milner A. Effectiveness of online and mobile telephone applications (‘apps’) for the self-management of suicidal ideation and self-harm: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2017, 17:297. 10.1186/s12888-017-1458-0
- Witt K, Milner A, Allisey A, Purnell L, LaMontagne AD. Effectiveness of suicide prevention programs for emergency and protective services employees: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American J Industrial Medicine, 2017. 60(4), 394–407, 10.1002/ajim.22676
- Witt K, Milner A, Spittal MJ, Hetrick S, Robinson J, Pirkis J, Carter G. Population attributable risk of factors associated with the repetition of self- harm behaviour in young people presenting to clinical services: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2018 Feb 3.10.1007/s00787-018-1111-6
- Barr A, Bentley R, Simpson JA, Scheurer J, Owen N, Dunstan D, Thornton L, Krnjacki L & Kavanagh AM. Associations of public transport accessibility with walking, obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Journal of Transport and Health 2016, 3(2), 141-153. 10.1016/j.jth.2016.01.006
- Bentley R, Baker E, LaMontagne A, King T, Mason K & Kavanagh AM. Does employment security modify the effect of housing affordability on mental health?SSM - Population Health 2016; 2, 778-783. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2016.09.003
- Currier D, Pirkis J, Carlin J, Degenhardt L, Dharmage SC, Giles-Corti B, Gordon I, Gurrin L, Hocking J, Kavanagh AM, Keogh LA, Koelmeyer R, LaMontagne AD, Schlichthorst M, Patton G, Sanci L Spittal MJ, Studdert DM, Williams J & English DR. The Australian longitudinal study on male health-methods. BMC Public Health 2016; 16 (Suppl 3):1030. 10.1186/s12889-016-3698-1
- LaMontagne AD, Krnjacki L, Milner A, Butterworth P & Kavanagh AM. Psychosocial job quality in a national sample of working Australians: A comparison of persons working with versus without disability. SSM – Population Health 2016; 2, 175-181. 10.1016/j.ssmph.2016.03.001
- LaMontagne AD, Milner A, Krnjacki L, Schlichthorst M, Kavanagh AM, Page K & Pirkis J. Psychosocial job quality, mental health, and subjective wellbeing: a cross-sectional analysis of the baseline wave of the Australian Longitudinal Study on Male Health. BMC Public Health 2016, Oct 31; 16(Suppl 3):1049. 10.1186/s12889-016-3701-x
- Kavanagh AM, Aitken Z, Emerson E, Sahabandu S, Milner A, Bentley R, LaMontagne AD, Pirkis J & Studdert D. Inequalities in socio-economic and health and wellbeing of men with and without disabilities: a cross-sectional analysis of the baseline wave of the Australian Longitudinal Study on Male Health. BMC Public Health 2016, 16 (Suppl 3):1042. 10.1186/s12889-016-3700-y
- Gorringe KL, Hunter SM, Byrne D, Devereux L, Rowley SM, Elder K, Huynh R, Pridmore V, Hopper J, Kavanagh A, Mitchell G, Mann BG, Fox SB & Campbell IG. Abstract P6-02-04: Screen detected and interval cancers; genomic analysis points to different molecular etiology? Cancer Research 02/2016; 76(4 Supplement). 10.1158/1538-7445.SABCS15-P6-02-04
- Priest N, King T, Bécares L & Kavanagh AM. Bullying victimization and racial discrimination among Australian children. Am J Public Health. 2016 Oct; 106 (10):1882-4. 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303328
- Emerson E, Krnjacki L, Llewellyn G, Vaughan C & Kavanagh A. Perceptions of safety and exposure to violence in public places among working age adults with disabilities or long-term health conditions in the UK: cross sectional study. Public Health. 2016 3(11) pii: S0033-3506(15)00446-1.10.1016/j.puhe.2015.10.036
- Aitken Z, Hewitt B, Keogh L, LaMontagne AD, Bentley R, Kavanagh AM. Young maternal age at first birth and mental health later in life: Does the association vary by birth cohort? Social Science and Medicine. 2016, Mar 30; 157, 9-17. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.03.037
- Aitken ZA, Simpson JA, Bentley R, Kavanagh AM The effect of disability acquisition in adulthood on mental health: is the effect modified by demographic and socioeconomic factors? J Epidemiol Community Health 2016;70:A35-A36.10.1136/jech-2016-208064.61
- Aitken Z, Hewitt B, Keogh L, LaMontagne AD, Bentley R, Kavanagh AM. The association between young age at first birth and mental health later in life: does the effect vary by birth cohort? J Epidemiol Community Health 09/2016; 70 (Suppl 1). 10.1136/jech-2016-208064.209
- Kavanagh AM, Aitken Z, Baker E, LaMontagne AD, Milner A & Bentley R. Housing tenure and affordability and mental health following disability acquisition in adulthood. Soc Sci and Med 2016 Feb, 151: 225-32. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.01.010
- Garrett C, Keogh L, Hewitt B, Newton D & Kavanagh AM. Young Mothers’ Experiences of Receiving the Baby Bonus: A Qualitative Study. Australian Social Work 2017, 70(1), 54-65. 10.1080/0312407X.2015
- Milner A, Aitken Z, Kavanagh A, LaMontagne AD & Petrie D. Persistent and contemporaneous effects of job stressors on mental health: A study testing multiple analytic approaches across 13 waves of annually collected cohort data. Occup Environ Med 2016; 73:787-793. 10.1136/oemed-2016-103762
- Krnjacki L, Emerson E, Llewellyn G & Kavanagh A. Prevalence and risk of violence against people with and without disabilities: Findings from an Australian population-based study. Aust NZ J Public Health 2016 Feb;40(1):16-21. 10.1111/1753-6405.12498
- King TL, Bentley RJ, Thornton LE & Kavanagh AM. Using kernel density estimation to understand the influence of neighbourhood destinations on BMI. BMJ Open Feb 16;6(2): e008878. 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008878.
- Pirkis J, Currier D, Carlin J, Degenhardt L, Dharmage S, Giles-Corti B, Gordon IR, Gurrin L, Hocking JS, Kavanagh A, Keogh L, Koelmeyer R, La Montagne AD, Schlichthorst M, Patton G, Sanci L, Spittal M, Studdert D, Williams J & English, D. Cohort profile: Ten to Men (The Australian Longitudinal Study on Male Health). Int J Epidemiol. 2017 Jun 1;46(3):793-794i. 10.1093/ije/dyw055
- Beer A, Bentley R, Baker E, Mason K, Mallett S, Kavanagh A & La Montagne AD. Neoliberalism, economic restructuring and policy change: Precarious housing and precarious employment in Australia. Urban Studies. 2016 53 (8), 1542-1558. 10.1177/0042098015596922
- Bingham AL, Garrett CC, Kavanagh AM, Keogh L A, Bentley RJ & Hocking JS. Prescription rates of the contraceptive implant in Australia 2008-1012: impact of patient age and area of residence. Sex Health. 2016 Feb 13 (1) 87-90. 10.10071/SH15141
- Bentley RJ, Kavanagh A, Krnjacki L & LaMontagne AD. A Longitudinal Analysis of Changes in Job Control and Mental Health. Am J Epidemiol 2015;182(4):328-34. 10.1093/aje/kwv046
- Milner A, Aitken Z, Krnjacki L, Bentley R, Blakely T, LaMontagne AD & Kavanagh AM. Perceived fairness of pay among people with and without disabilities: A propensity score matched analysis using a panel survey of working Australians. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2015 1;41(5): 451-9. 10.5271/sjweh.3515
- Rachele J, Kavanagh A, Badland H, Giles-Corti B, Washington S & Turrell G. Associations between individual socioeconomic position, neighbourhood disadvantage and transport mode: Baseline results from the HABITAT multilevel study. J Epidemiol Community Health 2015 69(12): 1217-1223. 10.1136/jech-2015-205620
- Scurrah K, Kavanagh AM, Bentley R, Thornton L & Harrap S. Socioeconomic position in young adulthood is associated with BMI in Australian families. J Public Health (Oxf). 2016 Jun;38(2): e39-46. 10.1093/pubmed/fdv107
- Garrett GC, Keogh L, Kavanagh A, Tomnay J & Hocking JS. Understanding the low uptake of long-acting reversible contraception by young women in Australia: a qualitative study. BMC Womens Health 2015 9 (10); 15:72 10.1186/s12905-015-0227-9.
- Garrett C, Keogh L, Hewitt B & Kavanagh A. Bye bye Baby Bonus: Implications for disadvantaged young mothers. Australian Journal of Social Work 2015:10.1080/0312407X.2015.1128453
- King T, Thornton L, Bentley R & Kavanagh AM. Does the presence and mix of destinations influence walking and physical activity? A multilevel study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015 Sep 17; 12:115. 10.1186/s12966-015-0279-0
- Milner A, Krnjacki L, Butterworth P, Kavanagh A & LaMontagne AD. Does disability status modify the association between psychosocial job quality and mental health? A longitudinal fixed-effects analysis. Soc Sci Med Nov; 144:104-11 10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.09.024
- Kavanagh AM, Aitken Z, Krnjacki L, LaMontagne AD, Bentley R & Milner A. Mental health following acquisition of disability in adulthood—the impact of wealth. PLoS One 2015 Oct 7;10(10): e0139708. 10.1371/journal.pone.0139708
- King T, Bentley R, Thornton L & Kavanagh AM.Using kernel density estimation to understand the influence of neighbourhood destinations on BMI. BMJ Open 2016 4(2) e008878, 1-8. 10.1371/journal.pone.0137402
- Aitken Z, Garrett CC, Hewitt B, Keogh L, Hocking JS & Kavanagh AM. The maternal health outcomes of paid maternity leave: A systematic review; Social Science and Medicine, 2015, 130: 32-41. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.02.001
- Milner A, Butterworth P, Bentley R, Kavanagh AM & LaMontagne AD. Sickness absence and psychosocial job quality: An analysis from a longitudinal survey of working Australians, 2005-2012. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2015 181(10): 781-8. 10.1093/aje/kwu355
- Mitthen J, Aitken Z, Ziersch A & Kavanagh AM. Inequalities in social capital and health between people with and without disabilities. Social Sci Med 2015 2 (126):26-35. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.12.009
- Kavanagh AM, Krnjacki L, Aitken Z, LaMontagne A, Beer A, Baker E & Bentley R. Intersections between disability, type of impairment, gender and socio-economic disadvantage in a nationally representative sample of 33,101 working-aged Australians.Disabil Health J. 2015 Apr;8(2):191-9. 10.1016/j.dhjo.2014.08.008.
- Burns C, Bentley R, Thornton K & Kavanagh AM. Associations between the purchase of healthy and fast foods and restrictions to food access: a cross-sectional study in Melbourne Australia. Public Health Nutr. 2015 18(1):143-50. 10.1017/S1368980013002796.
- Bingham AL, Kavanagh AM, Fairley CK, Keogh L, Bentley RJ & Hocking JS. Income inequality and Neisseria gonorrhoeae notifications in females: a country-level analysis. Sex Health 2014; 11(6):556-60. 10.1071/SH13188.
- Milner A, LaMontagne T, Aitken Z, Bentley R & Kavanagh AM. Employment status and mental health among persons with and without a disability: evidence from an Australian cohort study. J Epidemiol Community Health, 2014; 68: 1064-1071. 10.1136/jech-2014-204147
- LaMontagne T, Milner A, Krnjacki L, Kavanagh, AM, Blakely A & Bentley R. Employment arrangements and mental health in a cohort of working Australians: Are transitions from permanent to temporary employment associated with changes in mental health? Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 179(12): 1467-1476. 10.1093/aje/kwu093
- Milner A, Kavanagh AM, Krnjacki L, Bentley R &, LaMontagne AD. Area-Level unemployment and perceived job insecurity: Evidence from a longitudinal survey conducted in the Australian working-age population. Ann Occup Hyg 2014; 58(2):171-81. 10.1093/annhyg/met066
- Nickson CA, Mason KE & Kavanagh AM. Breast cancer screening of women aged 70-74 years: results from a natural experiment across Australia. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2014; 143 (2): 367-372. 10.1007/s10549-013-2794-5
- Burns C, Bentley R, Thornton L, Kavanagh AM. Associations between the purchase of healthy and fast foods and restrictions to food access: a cross-sectional study in Melbourne, Australia. Public Health Nutr. 2013; 28:1-8. 10.1017/S1368980013002796
- Nickson C, Arzhaeva, Y, Aitken Z, Elgindy T, Buckley M, Min L, English DR, Kavanagh AM. AutoDensity: an automated method to measure mammographic breast density that predicts breast cancer risk and screening outcomes. Breast Cancer Research 2013, 15(5): R80.
- Kavanagh AM, Krnjacki L, Beer A, LaMontagne AD, Bentley R. Time trends in socio-economic inequalities for women and men with disabilities in Australia: evidence of persisting inequalities, International Journal for Equity in Health, 2013, 12(1): 73 10.1186/1475-9276-12-73.
- Rouse HC, Ussher S, Kavanagh AM, Cawson JN. Examining the sensitivity of ultrasound-guided large core biopsy for invasive breast carcinoma in a population screening programme. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2013, 57(4): 435-443.
- LaMontagne AD, Krnjacki L, Kavanagh AM, Bentley R. Psychosocial working conditions in a representative sample of working Australians 2001-2008: an analysis of changes in inequalities over time. Occup Environ Med 2013, 70:639-647. 10.1136/oemed-2012-101171
- Milner A (in press) Suicide Prevalence and Suicide Prevention in the Workplace, In Violence and abuse in the workplace (Eds: Cooper C, Burke R). UK: Gower.
- Page K, Milner A, LaMontagne AD (2017). Wellbeing-enhancing workplaces, In Wellbeing, Recovery and Mental Health. (Eds: Slade M, Oades L, Jarden A), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, Chapter 24.
- Page KM, Allisey A, Tchernitskaia I, Noblet AJ, LaMontagne AD, Reavley N, Milner AJ, Martin A (2017). Workplace mental health: Development of an integrated intervention strategy for an Australian policing organisation, In Wellbeing, Recovery and Mental Health. (Eds: Slade M, Oades L, Jarden A), Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK.
- Hillier L, de Visser R, Kavanagh AM, McNair R (2004). The drug use patterns of heterosexual and non-heterosexual young women: data from the Women's Health Australia study. In D. Riggs G. Walker (eds), Perth: Brightfire Press Out in the Antipodes editor: Gordon Walker, Brightfire Press, Western Australia.
- Kavanagh AM, Daly J, Melder A and Jolley D. (2003) 'Mind the gap': Assessing the quality of evidence for public health problems. In Evidence-based health policy: Problems and possibilities. V Lin & B Gibson (Editors). Oxford University Press, Melbourne. Chapter 6 pp 70-79.
- Kavanagh AM. (2001) Epidemiology and Technologies of Quantification in Technologies and Health: Critical Compromises. Jeanne Daly, Marilys Guillemin, and Sophie Hill (Editors). Oxford University Press, Melbourne. Chapter 7 pp 90-104.
- Milner A, Carter GL (2015). Brief contact interventions: current evidence and future research directions. Chapter in International Handbook of Suicide Prevention - 2nd Edition. Wiley: United Kingdom.
- Milner A (2013). Direct and indirect costs of suicide. Chapter in Suicidal behaviours in Men: determinants and prevention in Australia (Eds. K Kõlves, E Kumpula & D De Leo). pp. 106-110. Brisbane: Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention.
- Thornton LE and Kavanagh A (2010). Understanding the Local Food Environment and Obesity. In Geographies of Obesity: Environmental Understanding of Obesity Epidemic. J Pearce and K Witten (editors); 79-110; United Kingdom: Ashgate. ISBN 978-0-7546-7619-5
- Turrell G and Kavanagh AM. (2004) Socio-economic determinants of Health. Book chapter for publication in Hands on Health Promotion. Rob Moodie and Alana Hulme (editors). IP Communications pp. 391-4.
- Milner A, King T (2017). Gender Equality and Health: A review of the evidence. Melbourne: VicHealth.
- Milner A, Law P (2017). Evidence review: Mental health in the construction industry. Brisbane: Mates in Construction.
- Maheen H, Milner A (2017). Suicide in the Construction Industry: Report submitted to MATES in Construction by Deakin University. Brisbane: Mates in Construction.
- Milner A (2016). Suicide in the Construction Industry: Report by Deakin University for MATES in Construction. Brisbane: Mates in Construction.
- Page KM, Milner A, LaMontagne AD (2014). Creating Thriving Workplaces: A SuperFriend Project. Melbourne, Superfried
- Milner A, Krnjacki L, Allisey A, LaMontagne AD (2015). Entry into work and changes in life satisfaction among young workers: A VicHealth scoping study. Melbourne, Victoria: VicHealth.
- LaMontagne AD, Milner A, Tchernitskaia I, Noblet AJ (2015). Integrated workplace mental health promotion for the prevention and management of mental illness in the workplace: A controlled experimental intervention study. Melbourne: beyondblue.
- Milner A, De Leo D, Bertolote J. WHO (2011). Developing suicide registration systems in low income countries. Geneva; World Health Organization.