Centre for Health Policy Visiting Health Economic Scholars Program
The Centre for Health Policy Visiting Health Economic Scholars Program is now open to applicants.
The purpose of this program is to assist early career health economic researchers (i.e. Post Docs and PhD students who are in the latter stages of their degree) to spend time at Centre for Health Policy (CHP), University of Melbourne, Australia.
CHP has a very active Health Economics Unit which undertakes and publishes research on a diverse range of topics including: economic evaluation primarily of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis; child health including vaccines; theoretical and empirical research on health inequalities; methods for improving data collection and survey design; history of health economics and health policy focused research.
More information on our research can be found on the Health Economics Unit website.
Visiting scholars can both propose their own research activities, or seek to collaborate on projects proposed by researchers within CHP (e.g. health economic research to inform Lancet Commission on Diabetes). The scholar will be expected to give a seminar during their stay.
The program will assist the scholar by providing accommodation and part board for a period of one month in a residential college such as Graduate House, or receive equivalent funding for non-residential accommodation. Accommodation at Graduate House is typically available during semester breaks in June/ July, or December/ January, but maybe available at other times of the year subject to availability. In addition CHP will provide research space and other facilities during the scholars stay. We are open to receiving proposals for longer or shorter stays, or from more senior researchers, but cannot guarantee additional funding will be provided.
The program does not cover any other costs (i.e. travel, or other living expenses, or visas if required), nor does it provide any type of salary support. It is open to both Australian and international health economic researchers. The deadline for the initial round of applications is 26 March 2017.
All applicants should send the following by 26 March 2017 to email@example.com:
- A current CV listing all publications
- Reprints (pdf documents) of up to three articles that you would consider to be the best example(s) of your work (i.e. articles for which you are primary author).
- Provide a brief (300 words) research proposal in which you indicate either the work program that you intend to undertake during your visit, and/or potential topics you would be open to collaborating with CHP staff. If you would like to collaborate with CHP staff member on a project, it would be useful indicate examples of past work (i.e. publications) by the CHP staff member who you are interested in working with and why. The unit is engaged in several projects that will inform the Lancet Commission on Diabetes; please indicate if you would like more information on these potential projects.
- Provide a brief statement of your future career plans. Please indicate if you are interested in future Post-Doc, or employment opportunities at CHP, University of Melbourne, Australia (up to 150 words). Note that many Australian funding schemes have restricted eligibility criteria (e.g. NHMRC Early Career Fellowships), so if you are intending to apply for such a scheme you should indicate your eligibility.
- Indicate whether you are able to take up a one-month period of residency in July 2017, or nominate preferred dates for a visit. Note we are open to a visiting scholar staying for longer or shorter periods (minimum two weeks), but all periods of residency are subject to availability at Graduate House (or scholars may choose to find their own accommodation and will receive up to $AUD2000.